Brooke Weiner - Georgia State
LakePoint, Ga. – Georgia State's Annika Van Gunst and Brook Weiner were rewarded for their outstanding play this past week taking home the CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honors, the league announced on Tuesday afternoon.
The duo played at the No. 2 court this past week and went a perfect 4-0 for the Panthers. The duo came up clutch in the opening match of the weekend, as they clinched the win against No. 6-ranked LSU. They bounced back from dropping the first set 13-21, to win set two 21-15 and then clinch the match with a 15-12 win in set three. They carried that momentum over into the second match of the day, where they cruised to a straight-set win against Texas A&M Corpus Christi. On day two of the event, Van Gunst and Weiner opened with a three-set victory against UNCW, winning 15-12 in the third and final set.
In the final match of the weekend for the duo, they defeated No. 9 South Carolina in two tightly contested sets, winning 21-19, 21-19 to push the Panthers into the lead against the Gamecocks. Van Gunst and Weiner are off to a flying start, sitting with a 5-1 record after the first two full weeks of play in the 2018 CCSA Beach Volleyball season.
Georgia State will be at home this week, when they welcome Austin Peay and Jacksonville State to Atlanta, Ga. for a day of duals in midweek. They then travel to Boca Raton to participate in the FAU Tournament which begins on Saturday, March 10th.
ASUN Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week - Mar. 6th
Annika Van Gunst | Graduate | Fayetteville, Ga.
Brooke Weiner | Junior | Ventura, Calif.
- Completed the second week of play with a perfect 4-0 record at No. 2 court for Panthers
- Started the UNF Beach Invitational with a three-set clutch win against No. 6 LSU
- After dropping first set, the duo won 21-15 and 15-12 to clinch the match and the dual over LSU
- They posted wins against Texas A&M Corpus Christi and UNCW to move to 3-0 on the weekend
- Finished the week with a straight-set victory against No. 9 South Carolina to close out weekend
- After midweek home openers, Georgia State heads to FAU Tournament next weekend