Francesca Goncalves - Florida State
LakePoint, Ga. – For the second time this season, Florida State's Francesca Goncalves was named to this week's Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week this time with a different partner in Vanessa Freire, the conference office announced on Tuesday.
The duo was outstanding this past weekend going 3-0 in the Florida State Staybridge Suites Invitational hosted by the Seminoles. Freire and Goncalves opened the weekend with a straight-set win against TCU playing in the No. 2 flight. They dominated in the 21-8, 21-10 victory against the Horned Frogs. Next up they faced No. 14 Florida Atlantic and once again were victorious in straight sets. The duo won 21-13 and 21-11 to close out the opening day.
On the final day of the tournament, Freire and Goncalves faced the No. 11-ranked South Carolina Gamecock pair in the No. 2 flight. They finished off an incredible rally in the first set winning 33-31. The second set went 21-14 in favor of the Seminole pair to close out the weekend undefeated. The three victories helped Florida State to three dual match wins at home as the Seminoles maintained their spot in the top-five of the AVCA Collegiate Beach Volleyball Poll.
The Seminoles will host their Alumni Weekend this week before heading to the CCSA Championships on April 21-23.
CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week – Apr. 11th
Vanessa Freire & Francesca Goncalves, Florida State
Junior | Windermere, Fla. / Freshman | Dallas, Texas
- Second Career CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week Honor for both
- Posted a perfect 3-0 mark at the Staybridge Suites Invitational last weekend
- Opened with a straight set victory against TCU and Florida Atlantic on first day
- Completed weekend with sweep of South Carolina, including a 33-31 set one win
- Helped the Seminoles win all three dual matches by the score of 5-0
- Held opponents to 14 points or less in five of six sets won last weekend