Tory Paranagua - Florida State
LakePoint, Ga. – Florida's State top pairing of Tory Paranagua and Vanessa Freire claimed the final CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honor this season, the league office announced on Tuesday.
Parangua and Freire went undefeated at the Battle on the Bayou last weekend to help the Seminoles close the regular season with a 24-6 record. The duo opened the weekend with a dominating 21-11, 21-12 win against No. 11 Georgia State's top pairing. Paranagua and Freire followed that up with straight-set wins against Houston Baptist and New Orleans to close out the opening day of action.
On the final day of the tournament, the pairing picked up where the left off the day before as they secured another straight-set victory, this time against No. 9 LSU. The win helped the Seminoles produce a comeback in the dual and win 3-2. Paranagua and Freire continued their strong play as they defeated Jacksonville State in a sweep to go 5-0 on the weekend without losing a single set. Freire earned a career milestone during the weekend as she became the sixth player in Florida State history to win 100 matches.
The Seminoles will now head to the 2018 CCSA Championship as the No. 1 seed as they look to make it three in a row. Florida State will be grouped with LSU, Georgia State, Florida Atlantic and UNCW to open the Championship. Pool play will be on Friday and Saturday, while Sunday's semifinals and final will be broadcasted live on Eleven Sports.
CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week - Apr. 17th
Tory Parangua | Senior | Austin, Texas
Vanessa Freire | Senior | Windermere, Fla.
- Posted an undefeated 5-0 record to close out the regular season, with all wins coming at the No. 1 court
- The duo opened the Battle on the Bayou with a straight-set victory vs. #11 Georgia State's top pair
- Followed up with two more straight-set victories against Houston Baptist and UNO to close out day one
- Secured sweep against #9-ranked LSU to lead Florida State to come back win in the dual
- Closed out the weekend with two more straight-set victories; didn't lose a set all weekend
- Freire becomes the sixth player in FSU history to win 100 career matches