Katie Horton - Florida State
LakePoint, Ga. – Florida's State's pairing of Francesca Goncalves and Katie Horton finished last weekend's Hawaii Outrigger Invitational with a 4-0 record, including wins against top-ranked opponents to take home this week's Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honors, the conference office announced on Tuesday.
The pair went perfect against three top-10 opponents, including winning against No. 1 Southern California in three thrilling sets. The duo jumped on top 21-11 in the opening set, before falling in the second. In the decisive set, they came through down the stretch to secure a 15-13 victory, the only point the Seminoles put on the board against the top-ranked Trojans.
Earlier in the weekend, the pair opened with two wins against top-10 opponents. They defeated the pairing from No.7 Arizona in three sets, with the final set going 15-12 in their favor. Later in the day, they picked up a victory against No. 5 Hawaii, also 15-12 in the third set to help the Seminoles to two quality team victories. The pair closed out the weekend with a victory against Nebraska, this time holding off the Cornhuskers 15-7 in the final set.
Florida State is back in the eastern time zone this weekend as they travel to the Gamecock Grand Slam, hosted by fellow CCSA member South Carolina. They will take on tough competition once again as Southern California, Georgia State, South Carolina and Stetson are all among the top-15 teams in the nation.
CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week – Mar. 21st
Francesca Goncalves & Katie Horton, Florida State
Freshman | Dallas, Texas / Junior | Westland, Mich.
- First Career CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week Honor for both
- Went a perfect 4-0 at the Hawaii Outrigger Invitational last week
- Opened weekend with wins against No. 7 Arizona and No. 5 Hawaii
- Picked up the lone victory against No. 1 Southern California, winning in three sets
- Closed weekend with dominating third set against Nebraska
- Led the Seminoles to a 4-1 record at the Invitational, including two top-10 wins