Margherita Bianchin - FIU
LakePoint, Ga. – Florida International's top pair of Federica Frasca and Margherita Bianchin were outstanding at the FIU Surf N Turf and were rewarded for their play with this week's CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week honors, the league announced on Tuesday.
As one of only three No. 1 pairs in the nation with 20+ wins, Frasca and Bianchin added four wins to their total this past weekend to push their record to 23-3 on the season. The opened the Surf N Turf with a hard-fought three-set victory against No. 11-ranked Grand Canyon. The final set went down to the wire as they won 15-13 to clinch the dual for FIU. They closed out the opening day with a straight-set win against No. 8 South Carolina (21-18, 21-17) to help the Panthers win that dual as well.
On day two of the Surf N Turf, the Italian duo picked up where they left off with two more victories. First, they defeated CCSA rivals Tulane in three sets. After winning the first set 21-16, they dropped the second set 15-21, but regrouped and dominated the final set to the tune of 15-7. Frasca and Bianchin then collected their final win of the weekend as they defeated No. 9-ranked Georgia State in straight sets (21-18, 21-18) to help the Panthers clinch that dual victory as well.
The Panthers will take a little time off now after a busy schedule, and are back in action on April 13-14 when they take on UAB. Those duals will mark the final tune-ups for FIU before the CCSA Championship begins on April 20-22 at the Rally Volleyball Complex at LakePoint Sporting Community in Emerson, Ga.
CCSA Beach Volleyball Pair of the Week - Apr. 3rd
Federica Frasca | Sophomore | Rome, Italy
Margherita Bianchin | Junior | Treviso, Italy
- Continued their outstanding season with four victories at the FIU Surf N Turf; now own 23-3 record at No. 1 court
- Secured victories against three opponents ranked in the top-11 of AVCA national poll
- Opened with a dual-clinching three-set win against No. 11 Grand Canyon, winning 15-13 in the decisive set
- Collected a straight-set win against No. 8 South Carolina to close out day one action
- Earned another three-set win against CCSA rivals Tulane to open day two, winning 15-7 in third set
- Closed out weekend with a 21-18, 21-18 victory against No. 9-ranked Georgia State